Saturday, 11 July 2015
Strawberries and Cream Cupcakes
Living near Wimbledon I love these two weeks of the year when everyone goes a little tennis crazy. Our local shops transform their windows and awnings with all sorts of tennis inspired decorations and all the local pubs and restaurants are full of merriment until the wee hours. I also absolutely love two things that Wimbledon is synonymous with; Lanson Champagne strawberries and cream. So to get into the spirit of things I made these cupcakes as a little homage to Wimbledon.
The frosting is buttercream but fresh whipped cream would be nice too. My cupcakes had to travel to a friend's party in 30 degree heat so the buttercream held up much better, we used the left over strawberries for our champagne, what don't strawberries go with?
For 12 cupcakes:
4oz castor sugar
4oz self raising flour
2 eggs lightly beaten
1 tsp strawberry essence
2 tbsp milk
Handful of fresh strawberries
For the buttercream icing:
5oz butter (at room temperature)
8oz icing sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180C and line your cupcake tin with cupcake cases.
2. Mix the butter and sugar well and gradually add the eggs to the mixture.
3. Add the strawberry essence and flour.
4. Chop up half the strawberries (I used 5 strawberries to be exact) and fold them into the mixture.
5. Spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases and put in the oven for 15 minutes.
6. When they are cooked take them out of the cupcake tin and place on a wire rack to cool.
7. For the buttercream icing mix the butter until it is soft and gradually add the icing sugar.
8. Place the icing into an icing bag and add to your cupcakes using a patterned nozzle.
9. Chop some more strawberries in half and place on top of the cupcakes.
10. Pop the cupcakes in the fridge for at least half an hour so the frosting can harden then enjoy with some champagne.
© C'est la Vie Style. All rights reserved.